By Lauren Hockenson, Giga Om
Facebook on Thursday announced the final phase of removing an old privacy feature from the social media platform. The feature, which allows users to be hidden from search, will finally be taken away for users who have it enabled.
The feature, called "Who can look up your Timeline by name?" was removed from Privacy settings last year (noted in a December blog post) for those who didn't have it enabled. When enabled, the setting removes the ability for users to access a Timeline profile via search, even when a user puts in the exact name of the person he or she is locating. Now, users that still have that feature enabled will begin to see removal notices from Facebook, indicating that they will be present and visible in Graph Search along with the rest of the Facebook user base.
Facebook says in the blog post that the feature is a vestigial precaution that reaches back before the platform had a sophisticated search algorithm. When Facebook search acted as a mere directory, removing oneself from search made it more difficult for strangers to access a given profile. But now, as Open Graph opens up to search more settings and there is greater visibility of Timelines for friends of friends, the importance of finding a person through search has diminished while controlling the content on any given Timeline has become more important. Facebook says that the feature also caused hiccups in the user experience:
"People told us that they found it confusing when they tried looking for someone who they knew personally and couldn't find them in search results, or when two people were in a Facebook Group and then couldn't find each other through search."Of course, the sunsetting of this feature for those who care about it the most only stresses the importance of checking and updating Facebook privacy settings often. Now, it's more important to consider the content of the Timeline itself: a "private Timeline" is only such when content is marked explicitly "Friends Only." As Facebook continues to make search easier, it's important to keep in mind how these changes impact social media privacy at large.
By Fox News
Mariah Carey returned to the set of her new music video on Sunday just hours after she was hospitalized with a dislocated shoulder and cracked rib in a desperate attempt to finish the shoot.
The pop superstar was filming a promo for a remix of her track #Beautiful with rapper Young Jeezy when she took a tumble and had to be treated at a New York medical centre for her injuries.
Her husband Nick Cannon, who had been directing the project, offered to abandon his duties to be by his wife's side, but Carey refused to let her pain stand in the way of her work and ordered the TV personality to continue on in her absence.
During an appearance on U.S. breakfast show Today on Tuesday, he said, "It was pretty serious. Not only did she dislocate her shoulder, she actually cracked her rib. She chipped her shoulder bone during the video shoot. She was in this nice, beautiful gown, heels on and everything, it was kinda on this platform, she kinda slipped and fell on her whole side. She's such a trooper, like I was gonna rush to the hospital, she was like, 'You get back in there and finish the video'.
"Then, after they put the shoulder back in place, bandaged her all up, she came back to the video early in the morning and finished out everything. She's like, 'This better be a good video after all this pain I went through!...' I would be crying and passed out if something like that happened to me. She was right back to work!"
The Hero hitmaker is now recovering at home and resting up for her performance at a Hurricane Sandy benefit concert on Saturday.
by Alyssa Toomey
Let The X Factor begin!
Filming for the hit reality competition show has officially kicked off in Charleston, S.C., Tuesday, and there's already a "girl power" theme for the Fox series' third season.
Demi Lovato and newly announced judges Kelly Rowland and Paulina Rubio all took theX Factor stage to greet fans and aspiring stars as they waiting for producer and fellow judgeSimon Cowell to arrive.
"3 beautiful ladies, and @SimonCowell is the one who's taking the longest to get ready!," theofficial X Factor twitter posted, along with the first shot of the three female judges together.
Finally, Cowell graced the crowd with his presence, prompting a jam-packed audience to scream "Thanks for coming, Simon!" a moment that was cleverly captured in a Vine video.
VIDEO: Will Demi Lovato Change Her Judging Style?
"It's taken more than a decade, but I'm delighted to finally be on a panel with three girls (I think!)," Cowell said in a statement after the judging news was formally announced.
Well, good luck, Simon. You've got some fierce female power on that panel.
by James Hibberd
NBC has locked down judges for the next two cycles of The Voice.
Speculation have run rampant as to who will sit in the red swivel chairs this fall and spring, with major media outlets declaring Shakira will exit the series for good after the singer said told reporters she wasn’t planning to return. There have also been rumors that Usher was finished with the show, too.
And it was all partly true. Shakira and Usher won’t be back … in the fall.
GET EW ON YOUR TABLET: Subscribe today and get instant access!
According to sources close to the negotiations, this fall’s edition will reunite the original lineup: Christina Aguilera, Adam Levine, Blake Shelton and, yes, Cee Lo Green. In addition, Carson Daly will return as host for both cycles.
For next spring, cycle 6, The Voice will then switch back to its current lineup, which has made for a surprisingly successful shakeup this season. NBC is finalizing deals with Shakira and Usher, who will take the stage along with Levine and Shelton.
The addition of Shakira and Usher were so popular with fans that some even urged NBC to add the duo full time. But this strategy will help maintain both variety and continuity next season — the judges are all familiar faces, yet not the same faces all season.
Meanwhile Fox’s singing competition panels are still partly in limbo, with American Idol andThe X Factor having multiple gaps in their judges panels. US Weekly reported that Nicki Minaj will depart Idol next season, which would whittle down the current panel from four to two (Mariah Carey and Keith Urban, the latter today saying he wants to stay on the show), with two more exits potentially to come. Factor has executive producer Simon Cowell and Demi Lovato set to return as judges, but also has two other seats to fill. Factor has to find its panel soon since production on season three needs to start before the end of the month.
BURBANK, CALIF. -- Blake Shelton has revealed that new coach Usher had a sort of magical power over some of “The Voice” contestants. But not so with Shakira.
“I think he gets under her skin a little bit, because he sits there and he’s Usher,” Blake told Access Hollywood’s Michelle Beadle on Tuesday in New York City.
“He [doesn’t] even have to say that much. He just gives whoever the person is ‘the look’ and they’re like, ‘Usher!’” Blake continued. “After a while, Shakira started mocking him a little bit. It was getting on her nerves and it should have… It was getting on my nerves.”
WATCH IT NOW: Blake Shelton: Will He Ever Take A Break From ‘The Voice’?
Something that absolutely did not get on the nerves of Blake and his coaching buddy Adam Levine was being hugged by Shakira.
“Adam and I figured out after three or four times, when Shakira would beat us out of an artist that we all wanted that it’d be like, ‘OK, cut!’ And she’d feel so bad about it, she’d come over and give us a hug, ‘cause she felt bad,” Blake recounted. “So Adam and I started figuring out, ‘Man, let’s just hit [the button] every time she hits her button — even if we can tell it’s some Latin, flared artist back there that there’s no way we’re gonna get anyway, let’s hit our button anyway, because we know we’re gonna get the Shakira hug.’”
PHOTOS: Reality Stars In Their Swimsuits
Of course, Blake isn’t sure those hugs will continue.
“She’ll probably see this [interview] back and she’ll – she’ll probably keep hugging him, but she’ll probably never touch me again,” he said.
Blake has been enjoying being a coach on “The Voice,” but he said he is unlikely to ever take a break from the show, with the idea of coming back, as Cee Lo Green and Christina Aguilera did for the current season.
“I think If I ever take a break, it’ll be permanent,” Blake told Michelle. “I don’t see myself like… taking off a season and then coming back, because to me, if I take off a season, it would be to go start whatever’s next.”
WATCH IT NOW: Blake Shelton’s ‘Based On A True Story’: Is He Paying Attention To The Reviews?
“The Voice” continues it’s two-night Season premiere tonight at 8/7c on NBC.