By Lauren Hockenson, Giga Om
Facebook on Thursday announced the final phase of removing an old privacy feature from the social media platform. The feature, which allows users to be hidden from search, will finally be taken away for users who have it enabled.
The feature, called "Who can look up your Timeline by name?" was removed from Privacy settings last year (noted in a December blog post) for those who didn't have it enabled. When enabled, the setting removes the ability for users to access a Timeline profile via search, even when a user puts in the exact name of the person he or she is locating. Now, users that still have that feature enabled will begin to see removal notices from Facebook, indicating that they will be present and visible in Graph Search along with the rest of the Facebook user base.
Facebook says in the blog post that the feature is a vestigial precaution that reaches back before the platform had a sophisticated search algorithm. When Facebook search acted as a mere directory, removing oneself from search made it more difficult for strangers to access a given profile. But now, as Open Graph opens up to search more settings and there is greater visibility of Timelines for friends of friends, the importance of finding a person through search has diminished while controlling the content on any given Timeline has become more important. Facebook says that the feature also caused hiccups in the user experience:
"People told us that they found it confusing when they tried looking for someone who they knew personally and couldn't find them in search results, or when two people were in a Facebook Group and then couldn't find each other through search."Of course, the sunsetting of this feature for those who care about it the most only stresses the importance of checking and updating Facebook privacy settings often. Now, it's more important to consider the content of the Timeline itself: a "private Timeline" is only such when content is marked explicitly "Friends Only." As Facebook continues to make search easier, it's important to keep in mind how these changes impact social media privacy at large.
By Huffpost Celebrity
The only thing more terrifying than one Miley Cyrus would be TWO Miley Cyrus-es. So, thank God the recent pregnancy rumors are just that.
The twerking spawn of Billy Ray Cyrus took to Twitter to sarcastically debunk the news that she would soon be gracing the world with Juicy J's baby. Although, just to be clear, if Miley was having Juicy J's baby, she would name it Juicy J Jr. We can't stop ... being confused by Miley.
by Chelsey Wilkins in Beauty
Our royal highness, King Beyonce Knowles-Carter, found herself in quite a hairy (heh) situation while on stage during last night’s stop on the Mrs. Carter World Tour. In the middle of her performance for "Halo," Bey's GLORIOUS blonde wavy tendrils were snatched up by a fan! If you’re anything like us, you’re saying to yourself, "Who dare approach the throne to commit such a maleficence!?!" But Beyhive, before you go summoning Jay-Z and the rest of “La Familia” to initiate a manhunt for this audacious audience member, note that the offender was only a stage fan—as in, an inanimate object.
The same stage fan that helps create Bey’s signature hair-blowing-in-the-wind moments turned its back on its fearless leader, leaving her stuck and unable to whip her hair back and forth in true Sasha Fierce fashion. We’re sure audience members refrained from breathing during this frightening ordeal, praying Beyonce’s mane remained intact and unscathed. All the while, Bey continued performing like the boss chick she is, as body guards and concerned stans standing by removed B’s luxurious locks from the metal hands of this unapologetic machine. The show must go on, right?!
Beyonce, aware of the effects of social media and the hundreds of video cameras in the arena, took to Instagram early this morning to make fun of the situation before anyone else could (of course WE’d never poke fun at the Queen!). After uploading an Insta-video of the near disastrous hair experience, she posted a picture with reworked lyrics for her smash hit “Halo”. The remixed version goes something like this:
“Gravity can’t begiiiiiiiin
To pull me out of the fan again.
I felt my hair was yankiiiiiiiin
From the fan that’s always hatiiiiiiiin
Virgin remy & malasiiiiiaaaaaan”
HILARIOUS, right?! She signed her witty note with the message, “I got snatched ‘2 snaps.’ Goodnight all, B.” Well said, Beyonce. Well said.
By Fox News
Mariah Carey returned to the set of her new music video on Sunday just hours after she was hospitalized with a dislocated shoulder and cracked rib in a desperate attempt to finish the shoot.
The pop superstar was filming a promo for a remix of her track #Beautiful with rapper Young Jeezy when she took a tumble and had to be treated at a New York medical centre for her injuries.
Her husband Nick Cannon, who had been directing the project, offered to abandon his duties to be by his wife's side, but Carey refused to let her pain stand in the way of her work and ordered the TV personality to continue on in her absence.
During an appearance on U.S. breakfast show Today on Tuesday, he said, "It was pretty serious. Not only did she dislocate her shoulder, she actually cracked her rib. She chipped her shoulder bone during the video shoot. She was in this nice, beautiful gown, heels on and everything, it was kinda on this platform, she kinda slipped and fell on her whole side. She's such a trooper, like I was gonna rush to the hospital, she was like, 'You get back in there and finish the video'.
"Then, after they put the shoulder back in place, bandaged her all up, she came back to the video early in the morning and finished out everything. She's like, 'This better be a good video after all this pain I went through!...' I would be crying and passed out if something like that happened to me. She was right back to work!"
The Hero hitmaker is now recovering at home and resting up for her performance at a Hurricane Sandy benefit concert on Saturday.
By Eric Kelsey
LOS ANGELES | Thu May 30, 2013 7:50pm EDT
(Reuters) - Pop singer and "American Idol" judge Mariah Carey will leave the TV singing contest and go on a world tour next year, following on the heels of longtime judge Randy Jackson after the show suffered from a ratings slump.
"@MariahCarey confirms world tour & says goodbye 2 Idol," public relations firm PMK BNC, which represents Carey, said on Twitter on Thursday.
The tweet said Carey was planning the tour to promote her recent single, "Beautiful," which features singer Miguel. Tour dates have yet to be announced.
Carey, 43, joined the judging panel with rapper Nicki Minaj, country singer Keith Urban and Jackson, a music producer, for the show's 12th season, and reportedly earned $18 million.
Carey and Minaj grabbed headlines throughout the season for their on-camera arguments and off-camera feuding, with Carey saying in January that she had hired extra security following threats reportedly made against her by Minaj.
"Mariah Carey is a true global icon - one of the most accomplished artists on the planet - and we feel extremely fortunate that she was able to bring her wisdom and experience to the 'American Idol' contestants this season," Fox said in a statement.
Despite the added star power of Carey, Minaj and Urban, the show's ratings slumped to the lowest in 12 seasons, with the May 16 season finale of "Idol" drawing 14.2 million to see vocal powerhouse Candice Glover win the competition.
Jackson announced this month he would not return to the show next season and it was unclear whether Minaj or Urban would either.
Pop singer and actress Jennifer Lopez and Aerosmith frontman Steven Tyler left "Idol" in 2012 after two seasons and used their increased visibility from the show to relaunch their music careers.
Fox, which is owned by News Corp, will also lose reality programming chief Mike Darnell, who said last week he would leave at the end of June. Darnell shepherded "American Idol" into a ratings juggernaut since its debut in 2002.
(Editing by Piya Sinha-Roy and Christopher Wilson)
By TMZ Staff
The Dawg is putting his "American Idol" career to sleep -- Randy Jackson just announced he's leaving the show for good at the end of the season.
Jackson -- who's been with the show from the very beginning -- just released a statement saying, "Yo! Yo! Yo! To put all of the speculation to rest, after 12 years of judging on 'American Idol' I have decided it is time to leave after this season."
Randy continued, "I am very proud of how we forever changed television and the music industry. It's been a life changing opportunity but I am looking forward to focusing on my company Dream Merchant 21 and other business ventures."
Story developing ...
We are, DJ's, Songstress, Actress, Poetess, Writers, Performers, Dancers, and also Artists.
South Side Family Productions©, Fantasy Crew© 2011-2014All rights reserve©